Friday, January 21, 2011

Free Money Going Poof?

Governor Brown has proposed eliminating redevelopment agencies to help with the California budget problem.  He says that the money can be better spent in schools and other places.

I'm on the the fence on whether or not I agree.  I do believe that we all have to give up benefits as our part to help the entire state; it's part of being in society.  But I also believe that redevelopment agencies help everybody's community.

About 15 to 20 years ago I was living in and around San Jose.  Around that time the San Jose Redevelopment Agency revitalized downtown San Jose and did a terrific job at it.  Downtown San Jose is a nice place to be and safe and all the good things it should be.  I believe that success can--and should--be ported to other cities and communities.

Yes, I know there is sometimes fraud and nepotism involved with redevelopment agencies.  But, for the most part, they do their job at creating jobs and pretty-ing-up areas well.

In our case with The Phoenix, if the redevelopment agency budget is gutted, we'll probably be out the matching funds to improve the front of the bar.

I'd like to have those matching funds, but, honestly, I'm kinda willing to give it up if it will help the vast majority of people in the state.  So, I take a wait-and-see stance on what happens.

Sometimes, being in the middle of the road on things is annoying....

No comments:

Post a Comment